The Steven Nelson Memorial Fund provides financial assistance to students who are experiencing a financial hardship related to coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) during their time at Boise State. Designed to help students move forward in their lives and academic career, grant awards, starting at $1500, will be dispersed in two payments over the course of two consecutive semesters.
- Grant may be awarded ONCE during a student’s academic career
- Grants do not have to be repaid
- Coming out as LGBT while a Boise State student has created a financial hardship that threatens your ability to be academically successful and you can provide a letter of support written by a trusted family or community member, that verifies these circumstances.
- Currently enrolled in and attending at least 6 financial aid eligible credits (must be attending summer classes to be considered for grant during the summer).
- Must be a degree-seeking student in good academic standing with minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or show evidence of recent satisfactory progress.
*If you are unable to upload your documentation to your application, hand deliver to Office of the Dean of Students, Norco Building, Suite 116 OR mail to Office of the Dean of Students, 1910 University Drive Boise, ID 83725-1370.
- Complete a Steven Nelson Memorial Fund Application. A request will be considered complete when the online form is submitted and supplemental letter of support is received.
- You will be required to meet with a staff member in the Office of the Dean of Students to discuss your situation.
- Completed request is reviewed for approval by the Office of the Dean of Students. Criteria for approval and granted amounts will be based on eligibility and availability of funds.
- Student is notified of decision with follow-up instructions.
If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving this grant may affect your current and future aid awards.