When Academic Misconduct has been alleged, the following procedures are followed:
The faculty member will document the incident of alleged Academic Misconduct.
- If an accusation of Academic Misconduct is alleged by any individual other than the course Faculty, the complaint will be referred to the Faculty for the course in which the behavior occurred for the Faculty member’s review and action to be taken as outlined in this policy. In some cases, egregious acts of Academic Misconduct may be automatically referred to a Student Conduct Administrator in the Office of the Dean of Students for a formal hearing by a Conduct Board.
- The Faculty member will notify the student of the Faculty member’s belief that the student has committed Academic Misconduct and will provide the student with an opportunity to respond to the allegation before making a final decision.
- The student will meet with the Faculty in person when possible to discuss the allegation before a final decision is rendered;
- If the Faculty member is unable to meet with the student in person, the Faculty member shall email the student, at the student’s University email address, an explanation of the alleged charges in order to allow for a response to the allegation before the Faculty makes a determination as to whether the student violated Section 8 of the Student Code of Conduct;
- Both the student and the Faculty member may have a support person/advisor attend the meeting if they so choose. The role of the support person/advisor is to only to provide support and thus the support person/advisor may not directly engage in the discussion occurring between the student and the Faculty. An exception to this may include input from the Department or Program Chair who, if choosing to participate in the discussion, has a responsibility for the broader academic environment of the department or program.
- The Faculty, after hearing the student’s response or after the student has failed to respond by a deadline provided by the Faculty member, and after consultation with the department or program chair, will notify the student via email to the student’s University email address regarding:
- Whether or not a finding of Academic Misconduct has been determined, citing the reasons for the decision; and
- Any sanctions imposed for the offense. Sanctions must be in keeping with the sanctions noted in this policy and published course policies (if any are noted in the course syllabus).
- The Faculty must notify the Office of the Dean of Students of the determination by providing a copy of the Academic Misconduct decision email and all other relevant documents. This notification should be made to the Student Conduct Administrator on the same date the student is notified of the Faculty member’s determination.
Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at (208) 426-1527 if you have any questions regarding the process above.
Excerpted from Section 8 of the Boise State Policy 2020 The Student Code of Conduct.